What I don't like about hipster PDA is basically because of poor styling and the ugliness of a binder clip. That's why I created mind.Depositor (currently in version 3) and freely downloadable GTD index card templates. However, after repeated attempts to find ways to group these different cards effectively, I finally settled back to using binder clips, except that I was determined to make them look better.
These GTD tabs were finally made about a month ago borrowing the idea from Clip-rite, a company founded by Janet L who grew up in Brazil and later moved to United States. I met her last year in Japan and admire her can-do attitude. Her patented design is simple yet ingenious, solving everyday problem by combining 2 products into 1 (sticky notes and paper clips). Without infringing her patent, I guess, I modified to replace the paper clips with binder clips for my GTD dream set.
It is dead simple, anybody can do it with just a few pieces of scrap leather, cutter and some binder clips. You decide the size and shape of the leather piece, cut a slit in the middle which should be measured to fit the width of your selected binder clip, or any other types of clip you find pleasing. Then open and insert the binder clip through the slit, its done.
I used alphabet stamps to make impressions on the tabs to create 4 different GTD tabs: Next Actions, Projects, Waiting For and Someday/Maybe. In a more refined version, I added stitches and they do look a lot better.
These GTD tabs not only let me bind piles of index cards in groups, they are also handy for pulling the cards out of a storage case, in my case the mind.Depositor 3. I'm so happy to have done this, solved binding and accessibility of index cards in one step. Do try to do it yourself and let me know how it goes, love to hear your feedbacks!